Wednesday, March 25, 2015

More Important Things

Before you proceed, please note that I am not judging anyone in this or condemning as it is not my place, nor my desire.  Just an observation that broke my heart today.

We all gripe and complain about things that are "first world problems" or that others would be grateful for.  We have moments of selfishness and longing for superficial affirmations.  When is enough considered to enough already?  Guys, we are so consumed in our own crap to even care that brothers and sisters in Christ are losing their lives at the hands of Isis and other groups that hate Christianity, joy, family unions, etc. 

I was scrolling through my Facebook mini feed and saw some posts from Buzzfeed about how One Direction is trending and people are freaking out about one of the guys leaving the group.  By freaking out I mean LOSING THEIR MINDS!  You know what?  That's his choice...let the young man live his life and deal with his stuff.  He wasn't created to complete you.  Yes, the guys are talented but IT'S A GROUP.  It's not a life or death situation for their fans.  As my friend Hannah would say, "RELAX."  I've been trying to watch my language, even in humor, as of late or else I would add in my own extra words with hers.  :) I'm not saying you shouldn't be bummed but let's have/use some perspective here.  We aren't devastated over our own sin (I'm saying we because I'm soooooo guilty) but we are devastated about trivial things that don't determine salvation.  It's been a day full of gut checks for me.

It's happened through the generations...fans crying because they're seeing their favorite artist or group.  Mom saw Elvis when she was in college (I know, right?!) and she said girls were sobbing and fighting over his scarves.  Heck, I'll admit, I get giddy when I get to see Straight No Chaser and Ed Sheeran but even I have limits.  People panicked when they saw other boy bands over the years but I just don't get it.  There's more to life...many more important things.  I get being disappointed in changes and whatnot but we should be sobbing uncontrollably over the people being murdered, children being sold into sex slavery and those dying to addictions.  We need a revival and we need it now.  We need Jesus. 

I know, the news is depressing but it's good and healthy to be aware as to what is going on around you in your town and in your world.  There are missionaries leaving daily to go to distant parts of the world that need our prayers and our support.  There are people in our towns suffering from loss, depression and much worse that need to see the love of Jesus.  There's something that everyone can do.  Pray for where you should serve and how you can support those around you and around the world.  I'm about to purchase the book, "Defying Isis" that was written by a former college pastor, Johnnie Moore.  He's a gifted communicator with a heart that yearns for his brothers and sisters overseas.  Check it out. 

Again, I said this in love and out of heartbreak.  Let's stop pitching tantrums about One Direction, who will go on, and start praying for those that are literally suffering and dying.

No comments: