Monday, September 21, 2009

8 years ago.

This time 8 years ago, I was getting ready for my first competition as color guard captain. Little did I know that I wouldn't get to compete at all. This coming Sunday, September 27, will mark the 8 year anniversary of my car accident. The accident that caused multiple scars, a broken arm, shoulder blade and a broken neck. I always start thinking back around this time every year and am filled with thankfulness for life in general. It's such a precious gift that I take for granted too often. When I look at the pictures of the car or my scars even, I'm reminded of just how blessed I am to not only be alive but to be walking as well.

For a while I struggled with my scars, hating the way they looked and the fact that they were permanent. That was probably due to some jerk suggesting I go ahead and get the ones on my face taken care of. I was 16 at the time and what 16 year old girl longs for scars? Ha. I actually had a conversation about the wreck with some new guy friends not too long ago and they said they had never noticed the scars on my face. They don't know how much that means to me. In the back of my mind, I still have some insecurities about them from time to time. But I'd take these scars any day! They serve as a reminder that I'm supposed to still be here and that God isn't finished with me yet.

This week I'm purposing the have a thankful heart and attitude. No, life isn't perfect but it's life and filled with blessings that I take for granted each day. Reflecting on this causes me to look back at the times I've clearly seen God's hand intervening on my behalf. All starting from even before I was born...that will be in a post another day this week. :) Praising Him today for His love and faithfulness.

4 comments:

Brad and Shana said...

Rejoicing and being thankful with you JennyBelle....

Great post.

This time 8 years ago I had just had a miscarriage and was diagnosed with Melanoma....I remember having my surgery and being called by Tammy that night about your accident....I'll never forget it!

Jenny said...

I had actually thought about you after posting this. :) Love you...and those two precious children of yours. Oh and Brad too I guess haha.

Tammy Howard said...

I'm thankful God was there to take care of you....my life would be missing a huge part without my dear Jenny.

Jesus has scars to Jenny....they remind Him of his love for us. Let yours remind you how much He gave to save your life.

Love you bunches!!!

worshippeach said...

I know this was posted months ago, but I am prowling around tonight in blogland...I am sure you have probably heard "heal the wounds, but leave the scar"? cool song...
I love you Jenny, and am privileged to know you!!
Your Bern